Spirit Charter of El Reno Public Schools
We the students, community, alumni and board of education of El Reno Public Schools along with the government of the Cheyenne Arapaho tribe, in order to sustain the principles and traditions of a democracy, to promote a healthy school spirit and friendships, and to establish harmonious relationships between the school district and other entities regardless of race or nationality, hereby establish the El Reno Spirit Charter.
El Reno Public Schools began educating students in 1891 and met in the El Reno Opera House. The first school building construction began the next year. The first public school buildings that were constructed were small two-room buildings. Two of the buildings were located on the 600 block of South Rock Island for white students and one was located on North Barker for black students. The first two-story brick school, Irving School, was constructed in 1895 on Foreman Street and served as the elementary and high school. The first El Reno High School graduate was Nellie Jensen in 1896. The current El Reno High School was constructed in two phases, the first was constructed in 1911 and an addition was added in 1922 to add a large auditorium, classrooms for junior high students and gym in the basement. Architects Layton and Smith, the same architects that also designed the Oklahoma State Capitol and the Skirvin Hotel, designed the El Reno High School building. El Reno High School is on the National Register of Historic Places. School population has remained around 2,500 students from the 1930s through today, with our numbers increasing to the current enrollment of 2,750.
El Reno Mascot: The Indian
The Indian, the El Reno mascot was chosen during the 1924-25 school year as a symbol of pride and respect for the strength and perseverance that Native people represent. The symbol of “standing tall on the western prairie” is both a Native trait and a vision that the El Reno Public School system wished to instill in its students and staff.